Valdez

(・ ω ・)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Gamertag:GFWL Valdez
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

I did the whole cow thing way back during the Demo. Altered the starting infantry from grunts to cows. However it was only a model change so the cows could materialise plasma grenadea which flew at the enemy. It's so cool.

Posted Image

#22 Kelathin

Kelathin

Petro Leader

• Community Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • Gamertag:Kelathin
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:27 AM

Cows lol.
Posted Image
Personal opinions are supported by personal beliefs alone. Did you know my duck avatar makes me eviler than you?
Posted Image

#23 Purified

Purified

Petrotopian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Gamertag:Purified100

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Finally got help on adding in units (thanks a13w!), but it seems they can't be given too many new properties....i.e. I tried making a new type of pb, but the only thing that changed was it's price.
A shot of two sizes of saucers.
Posted Image
What would have been a second type of pb in addition to the triple gun one. Though it didn't work out, so now the warhead pb is the only type of pb to be available in the mod (unless I can figure out how to make true multiple units).
Posted Image
GameFront page with various things I have released, where I have mods and map packs available! Click here!
Current uploads: Hierarchy's New Walkers mod, Hierarchy Mini Walkers mod, Modified Units mod, Map Pack 1 (4x maps), Map Pack 2 (3x maps), Map Pack 3 (5x maps), Bizarrio World, Map Pack 4 (4x maps), Global Territories Mod

#24 Purified

Purified

Petrotopian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

more changes.
PBs now also get beam cannons attached to them, which was my first crazy modding idea. Surprised it took me this long to figure it out...
Posted Image

the compromise for this is that beam cannons have been moved to science walkers, where they are also shrunk.Posted Image
GameFront page with various things I have released, where I have mods and map packs available! Click here!
Current uploads: Hierarchy's New Walkers mod, Hierarchy Mini Walkers mod, Modified Units mod, Map Pack 1 (4x maps), Map Pack 2 (3x maps), Map Pack 3 (5x maps), Bizarrio World, Map Pack 4 (4x maps), Global Territories Mod

#25 Valdez

Valdez

(・ ω ・)

• Members
  • 10,633 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hey I like those Science walker beam cannons. It may be as puny as their boring green laser but the scorch effect at the impact is brilliant

Posted Image

#26 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:54 AM

Knowing Purified, EVERYTHING has super OP damage and HP in this mod, and balance is only a secondary concern to causing our computers to blow up from the awesome.

PB: 10,000 HP, 9,000 DMA

Ohm: 500 HP

Grunt: 1500 HP

Disciple: 1000 HP, 500 DMA

Walker:  Your computer goes boom because the number is so high.

#27 Valdez

Valdez

(・ ω ・)

• Members
  • 10,633 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:00 AM

View PostSpardaSon21, on Oct 10 2008, 04:54 PM, said:

Knowing Purified, EVERYTHING has super OP damage and HP in this mod, and balance is only a secondary concern to causing our computers to blow up from the awesome.

Well he could try and knock Crysis off the title of "most system resources needed" :D

I'd really like to see the Defiler and Science Walker green lasers changed to something like that trailer with white particle effects aroudn the beam. I had the idea of the beam resembling the Constructor's beam, except the blue is green and the black particles are white.

Edited by Valdez, 10 October 2008 - 04:01 AM.

Posted Image

#28 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:42 AM

Personally, I wouldn't mind if he made this mod like in the intro cinema.  Mirabel flying around sniping at the walker, Ohm army, Defiler army, spams of everything.

Like I said earlier, the No. 1 problem with UaW is that it isn't big enough for its backstory.  The millennia of conflict between Novus and Hierarchy.  The defeated gods of the Masari.  Whole sectors of the galaxy ravaged by the Hierarchy in their quest to consume everything.  Small Novus waging a futile guerrilla war against the Hierarchy in the small hope of stopping them.

UaW goes from all that to tiny battles with a maximum number of 90 units per side.  All focusing on one insignificant planet, Earth.  Yeah, I know the war needed a focal point, but UaW is supposed to be about more than just Earth at stake.  The whole galaxy is in danger, and everything is converging on Earth as if it were the most important planet in the galaxy.  It doesn't seem right.

We should be seeing massive armies duking it out.  UaW is more tactical than strategic, and IMO tactical games aren't very epic in nature due to the amount of micro involved.

Hierarchy has this bad with you needing to check every 5 mins to see if your Reapers are still harvesting.  Kinda hard to focus on brute forcing things when your drones are stopping collecting for no apparent reason.  Kills the vibe.

And no, I wouldn't mind model and texture quality taking a small hit in order to have bigger, more epic battles.  90 just isn't big enough.

#29 Valdez

Valdez

(・ ω ・)

• Members
  • 10,633 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:47 AM

View PostSpardaSon21, on Oct 10 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

if he made this mod like in the intro cinema...

...it would pwn WiC so hard in the visuals department.

And yeah, tactical battles are something I can easily enjoy more by playing (you guessed it) WiC.

A more generous pop cap would be better. Even allowing a 4th Walker onto the battlefield would really make things nicer (Purified would probably go for 4000 so no worries there)

View PostSpardaSon21, on Oct 10 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

Hierarchy has this bad with you needing to check every 5 mins to see if your Reapers are still harvesting.

That's the sad thing about them. They behave like a stupid.

I'd like a radar indication when Reapers stop harvesting. At least then I wouldn't need to physically check half the time...

Posted Image

#30 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:37 AM

Well, knowing Purified and his love of OMGWTF, UaW will be a lot more epic.  Just hope he raises the popcap from 90 to a lot more.  Like 150.  Hell, even STARCRAFT had 200.  300 would be best.  And if you can think of a 300 based joke, go ahead and say it. I certainly couldn't think of one.

Too bad abilities can't be autocastable.  There was a guy who did a mod like that for DoW so you don't have to micromanage everything and have time to concentrate on fighting/production instead of watching your units like hawks.

And what's the point of the Battlecam in UaW when everything is so micro-intensive?  I can't just sit back and watch b/c I have to micromanage so much.

#31 Valdez

Valdez

(・ ω ・)

• Members
  • 10,633 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:54 AM

View PostSpardaSon21, on Oct 10 2008, 06:37 PM, said:

what's the point of the Battlecam

I only use it for screenshot taking. All of my pics are taken in battlecam. The main gripe I have with it is that the default battlecam rarely focuses on the stuff I wanna see, which forces me to use the camera tether version which is attached to a unit/structure.

I would like the Battlecam to be an alternate camera mode which has more freedom of camera movement while retaining all the camera movement controls. And preferably filter out not just the UI but also other tactical data like the yellow numbers signifying harvested resources or the unit silhouettes behind buildings so that screenshots have a "cleaner" look

Posted Image

#32 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

Somehow Battlecam thinks resourcing counts as damage dealt.  That is probably the problem there.  I don't think it focuses on Masari ME's.

I would use Battlecam if it meant my soldiers didn't get chopped to bits because I wasn't there to hold their hands.  If UaW allowed autocasting of abilities, Battlecam would be a lot more useful.

#33 ^Rampastein

^Rampastein

Initiate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Gamertag:Rampastein

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

I like the Battlecam. While I don't use it while I'm playing, I use it when I lose and want to watch the other players' fighting.

It however should focuse more on the battles instead of showing the players' bases all the time.

#34 Purified

Purified

Petrotopian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

View PostSpardaSon21, on Oct 10 2008, 12:54 AM, said:

ROFL. I think you're exaggerating :p Many units do get some hitpoint buffs and rate of fire increases, but nothing is totally indestructible. I'm actually trying make this mod in a way that some factions have really powerful stuff, but those powerful units can be countered by other powerful things in other factions. :lalala:

I will mention grunts are twice as fast, get 1 pop cap,cost 10 rm, and get a 2 pulse rate with 7 pellets. Does that sound too OP? :ph34r: Either way, pbs can maul them. Novus can attack swarms of grunts with beam cannon corrupters. Everything gets a counter.

So far my opinion on the top most powerful units of each faction.
  • Hierarchy - phase tank/beam cannon defiler
  • Novus - missile variant
  • Masari - beam cannon peace bringers

I actually haven't found pop cap. :blush: But, I'll be sure to look for it. If I can find it, the pop cap will be 200 with a 20 walker cap. Units will also get rebalanced pop caps depending on how strong I think they are (eg beam cannon pb is getting 10).

As for large scale battles...U@W suffers there indeed, but for a good reason. Processing power :glare: , If I let the player build 100 walkers, their game is likely to crash or freeze from the lag generated. Same with 1000 units running around. Only way having those kinds of numbers in this game is if you run it on a supercomputer. -_-

Edited by Purified, 10 October 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#35 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

Wow.  Will you be upping resource rates to compensate for the masses of units?  Also, Kelathin is adding in ME-like resource structures for the Hierarchy and Novus for late-game economic stability.  Will you be doing that as well?

#36 Purified

Purified

Petrotopian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

hmm
I'd defiantly do t if I could. With the way the AI is, you'll be more likely to end up in a huge war trying to break it's turtle, especially on a map like Pacific Southwest.
making a recycle center gather rm..
might be possible, might now be.... for me at least.

#37 Kelathin

Kelathin

Petro Leader

• Community Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • Gamertag:Kelathin
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

View PostPurified, on Oct 10 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

hmm
I'd defiantly do t if I could. With the way the AI is, you'll be more likely to end up in a huge war trying to break it's turtle, especially on a map like Pacific Southwest.
making a recycle center gather rm..
might be possible, might now be.... for me at least.
Psh don't go stealing my concept :p
Posted Image
Personal opinions are supported by personal beliefs alone. Did you know my duck avatar makes me eviler than you?
Posted Image

#38 Purified

Purified

Petrotopian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

Looks to be lua related unfortunately...out of my reach. <_<

*begins considering making all units cost 1 rm*

Edited by Purified, 11 October 2008 - 12:16 AM.

#39 SpardaSon21

SpardaSon21

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:51 AM

I heard Mike.nl had done some work with his LUA decompiler......

#40 Purified

Purified

Petrotopian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:14 AM

Some progress on solving rm problems. H arrival site can now generate 5000 rm per round (like an abduction core, only 10x the rm!)
Novus gets collectors trainable from their RAs, and the collectors train fast, cost 10 rm, and have no pop cap. This lets Novus greatly exceed collector limits. Only one res center is required to maintain the new collectors. Of course, like all units, building 10,000 collectors will probably lag your comp badly :p, so I wouldn't recommend doing that. However, while this boosts N's collection abilities to ridiculous proportions, it's not infinite (though it'll beat H anytime), so command cores will also gain the ability of infinite rm (probably at 4000 per round).
Posted Image
M will end up with the short end of the stick on all this. N and H will out compete M econ easily being about able to build more than one command base to be about to gain 20K - 25K in rm per round. M will get a massive Me build limit increase, along with a 300 rm generator on their citadels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users