Chrissyx

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi,

i'm new here and a BIG fan of C&C by Westwood. :) Too bad, EA is butchering now the brand...  :glare:
Well, i have some questions regarding the timeline of the C&C universe. I've worked out this one:

Red Alert 1: 1946-1952
Red Alert 2: ca. 1966-7/31/1972
Yuris Revenge: April 1972
Red Alert 3: between 1980 and 1995
Tiberian Dawn: 1995-1998 or 1999-2002
Renegade: 1998 or 2002
Tiberian Sun: 9/2/2030-Dec 2030
Firestorm: Dec 2030-2031
Tiberian Twilight: starts March 2047

-Is it correct?
-Can you fix it? :rolleyes:
-The manual of Renegade says 2020, but it makes no sense?

So long
Chrissyx :petroicon:

Dawn -> Sun -> Twilight
Posted Image

#2 Luga

Luga

Harvester of Earth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,909 posts
  • Gamertag:Mrluga

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

Nice to see you on the boards ChrissyX. Took your sweet time :p
Posted Image

Thank you Petroglyph for being here in the dark ages of RTS gaming! May your bright torch lead the way for other developers led astray.  You make me happy as long as you stay alive, and I will dedicate my life to thee to make this dream come true!

View PostDelphi-PG, on May 13 2007, 11:39 PM, said:

Luga, your passion is unmatched.   ;)

#3 Zet

Zet

Disciple of Petroglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Gamertag:Zet237
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Do we know each other?

"Die Waffen legt an!"
(Just to clarify, what the infamous line in Hell March is about!)

#4 lord hobo

lord hobo

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

hes big poster at the offical cnc 3 boards nice to see you here, most of that makes sense though
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

---

#5 Zet

Zet

Disciple of Petroglyph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Gamertag:Zet237
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

View Postlord hobo, on Dec 13 2006, 08:40 PM, said:

hes big poster at the offical cnc 3 boards nice to see you here, most of that makes sense though

Hrhr, of course I know him ;) (not personally but via internet) and on his website is really MUCH of unseen information, Petroglyph could finall give him clearness, that he does not have to rely on theries.

"Die Waffen legt an!"
(Just to clarify, what the infamous line in Hell March is about!)

#6 Chrissyx

Chrissyx

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:39 AM

Hi everyone, nice to see you here, too!  :)
Let's hope for an answer from Westw... erm Petroglyph. ^_^

Dawn -> Sun -> Twilight
Posted Image

#7 Ishmael

Ishmael

Ascended Petrotopian

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

Are you trying to nail down specific dates?  I'm unsure exactly what you're after from us.

Keep in mind that anything that we (former WW employees that created those games) say about the C&C time-line is now completely speculative.  We don't own C&C, so even if we were to tell you some dates, EA could easily override that for their purposes with that franchise.

Your best bet would be to ask someone that now controls the C&C lore from EA as to what dates they feel are appropriate.  :(

#8 Piglet

Piglet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts
  • Gamertag:PigletCNC

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:48 PM

View PostIshmael-PG, on Dec 14 2006, 08:27 PM, said:

Are you trying to nail down specific dates?  I'm unsure exactly what you're after from us.

Keep in mind that anything that we (former WW employees that created those games) say about the C&C time-line is now completely speculative.  We don't own C&C, so even if we were to tell you some dates, EA could easily override that for their purposes with that franchise.

Your best bet would be to ask someone that now controls the C&C lore from EA as to what dates they feel are appropriate.  :(

Hang on ishmael, if they ###### up *sorry for my fine choice of words  :D * C&C3 you will be getting those licenses back very quickly, ill make shure of that ;)
It's illogical to say that a Mac is better than a PC, because a Mac itself is a PC.

Posted Image

#9 Luga

Luga

Harvester of Earth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:57 PM

View PostPigletCNC, on Dec 14 2006, 09:48 PM, said:

Hang on ishmael, if they ###### up *sorry for my fine choice of words  :D * C&C3 you will be getting those licenses back very quickly, ill make shure of that ;)

EA will cling to that CnC name like dust to the insides of a computer, it's the perfect name to milk into oblivion
Posted Image

Thank you Petroglyph for being here in the dark ages of RTS gaming! May your bright torch lead the way for other developers led astray.  You make me happy as long as you stay alive, and I will dedicate my life to thee to make this dream come true!

#10 Gray__Fox

Gray__Fox

Ultimate Strategist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,440 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

bad boys stop the EA bashing here, go to their forums for that!! lol
I don't think petro would get their mitts on a train wrecked series if (when?) that happens

I think chrissy just wants to know what old Westwood had as specifics, so he can compare to the newly rewritten ones we've seen.

Edited by Gray__Fox, 14 December 2006 - 05:28 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.~Voltaire 1694-1778
Free inquiry requires that we tolerate diversity of opinion and that we respect the right of individuals to express their beliefs, however unpopular they may be, without social or legal prohibition or fear of success." -- Paul Kurtz

#11 Commander Loony

Commander Loony

That guy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,786 posts
  • Gamertag:Grenademan
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

That timeline opened my eyes a little (lol that has two meanings)...

I thought that Red Alert 2 took place around 1997 or something like that...now it makes much more sense :)
And then i saw the,

Tiberian DAWN - Tiberian SUN - Tiberian TWILIGHT...Hmmmm......wait...what the heck is Twilight (game?)
Hivvy Mitilz.

#12 Chrissyx

Chrissyx

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

View PostIshmael-PG, on Dec 14 2006, 08:27 PM, said:

Yes, i'm looking for specific dates and i don't think, EA will change e.g. the TS date to 2040, although the FMV shows clearly another year. Besides that, i want wo know the original date, intended by Westwood. I'm very curious about the TD and Ren dates, since both games were created by you. :)
btw I already started a timeline topic at the EA boards, but APOC refuse to answer that. :glare: Probably, because no one really knows it.

View PostCommander Loony, on Dec 15 2006, 04:43 PM, said:

That timeline opened my eyes a little (lol that has two meanings)...

I thought that Red Alert 2 took place around 1997 or something like that...now it makes much more sense :)
And then i saw the,

Tiberian DAWN - Tiberian SUN - Tiberian TWILIGHT...Hmmmm......wait...what the heck is Twilight (game?)

The Allied outro shows several mags with the 1972 date. ;)
Twilight was the Westwood-version of C&C3, which EA converted into crappy Generals. :angry: Also known as Incursion.

Dawn -> Sun -> Twilight
Posted Image

#13 Some Lazy Driver

Some Lazy Driver

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

And now it's called Tiberium Wars...

Other then the fact that they stole the C&C name, Generals was pretty good.

#14 Ishmael

Ishmael

Ascended Petrotopian

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

View PostChrissyx, on Dec 15 2006, 01:29 PM, said:

Yes, i'm looking for specific dates and i don't think, EA will change e.g. the TS date to 2040, although the FMV shows clearly another year. Besides that, i want wo know the original date, intended by Westwood. I'm very curious about the TD and Ren dates, since both games were created by you. :)
btw I already started a timeline topic at the EA boards, but APOC refuse to answer that. :glare: Probably, because no one really knows it.
The Allied outro shows several mags with the 1972 date. ;)
Twilight was the Westwood-version of C&C3, which EA converted into crappy Generals. :angry: Also known as Incursion.
Incursion was our working name for C&C3, but that wasn't converted into Generals by WWP.  Incursion was being worked on after Generals was already being developed -- we were using SAGE to dev it, actually.  Generals was always its own game.  It was more an updating of C&C1 than anything akin to what C&C3 was going to be.  A few of the unit concepts for early C&C3 ended up in RA2 / Yuri's... as yes, we were working on C&C3 stuff that long ago, right after TS/FS, but before we stopped work on C&C3 to work on Continuum.

C&C3 went through several incarnations at WWS and at EALA over the years after that.  The current game (C&C3) doesn't look to have any of the new/unique elements we were playing around with back then (which I can't discuss), but feels like TS 2.5 in terms of story / fiction, a re-imagining of parts of TS in some ways I guess.  If Generals was C&C TD 1.5, then C&C3 being C&C TS 2.5 makes sense.

I can't say for sure if that's their intent, since I don't keep up with C&C more than watching the videos that you've all seen as well.  P-02 keeps us plenty busy!

Since EA owns and has all the docs we used to keep on C&C lore / history, they actually have all those intended dates and such for the time-line themselves.  We don't have any of that any longer, since that's all EA property.

#15 Ishmael

Ishmael

Ascended Petrotopian

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

DISCLAIMER: This is ALL SPECULATIVE.  Don't go asking EA about this, as it was never written down and they wouldn't know about it.  This was a plan that some of us that influenced the fiction had discussed.

In dealing with C&C timeline, you have one problem -- the timeline split...

It was:

Red Alert
C&C TD
Renegade
C&C TS / FS
C&C 3
  |--->  Red Alert 2 / Yuri's --> ???
  \--->  C&C (4) --> ???

Now as to just WHAT was going to happen in C&C3 to split the timeline... well that's all just fantasy speculation now.  The RA2 disconnect was completely explained by the event as well, and it all ties back into the origin of the entire C&C universe and RA's inciting incident.

So that's the timeline.  RA2 didn't happen initially, so the dates would be off.  Just like Einstein removed Hitler, someone changed the past yet again, resulting in the RA2 universe / split before TS could happen in the first place.

So there you go.

#16 Luga

Luga

Harvester of Earth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Petroglyph folks. As far as me, and some others are concerned, there are no CnC3, It's just CnC: EALA's way now.

The true CnC died as it was given off to EALA :( I mean, I hope it will turn out great and all though, dont get me wrong, becouse I love the CnC story that is in there, and I hope PO-2 will give such a facinating story as well.

It just seems that EA puts what is said in story and science, badly into the game, like the Mechs suddenly going away becouse it was unreliable and costly, though it seems that Nod is still able to use it very well, and the GDI engineer is able to take it over, so why does suddenly GDI want it back? It is also the thing with how the whole tiberium changed but..

Well it dosnt matter, no need to discuss it over here, I am sure you get tired of being nagged on about CnC now anyways :p  It's just something .. Amazing about talking to the developers of a game you played while you were growing up  :wub:

Typo edit

Edited by Luga, 18 December 2006 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Ishmael

Ishmael

Ascended Petrotopian

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

View PostLuga, on Dec 18 2006, 02:17 PM, said:

Well it dosnt matter, no need to discuss it over here, I am sure you get tired of being nagged on about CnC now anyways :p  It's just something .. Amazing about talking to the developers of a game you played while you were growing up  :wub:
Nah, it's just that what we say isn't the "truth" any longer, and since EA owns the rights to C&C and the franchise, we can't say anything about C&C with any authority any longer.  I'm just trying to manage people's expectations on how much value they should put on anything we say regarding the C&C franchise or past Westwood games.

Believe me, we certainly loved making all those games.  :D

#18 Luga

Luga

Harvester of Earth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:58 PM

Oh I know that perfectly well, I found that out when EALA suddenly changed the tiberium and seems to pretty much ignore what happend in Tiberian Sun <.<;

Anyhow, whatever you say, I KNOW that EALA might not go with that, and might go in a whole other direction, though it is still fun to listen to what YOU might have gone and had done IF you had the license.

It's like talking to an author about a book he has already written, you know? He might not make anymore of the story, but you could still talk to him where he might think where the character might have gone on later in his life etc. Even if he has no control over it or-- Well bad example :p
Posted Image

#19 ASG

ASG

Follower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

ahha so RA was apart of the tiberium universe. jolly good show. Even though you guys don't own C&C anymore, what did you guys plan on having in the [[[C&C 3]]] or what was your story behind it?(story in game (campaign))?
Posted Image

#20 Siberian GRemlin

Siberian GRemlin

Acolyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Fav. Game:

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:02 PM

View PostIshmael-PG, on Dec 19 2006, 03:01 AM, said:

In dealing with C&C timeline, you have one problem -- the timeline split...

It was:

Red Alert
C&C TD
Renegade
C&C TS / FS
Renegade?! I think it's appendix from original universe! Hi-Tech (more then in TS) weapons, remodeled vechicles, very mutated persons (more then in TS), scrin ship, no recon bike, etc.

But, who developed Renegade(2002)?! WWS or WWP???

P.S.:
My vision of timeline:
Red Alert (1)
Tiberian Dawn
Tiberian Sun
Tiberian Sun. Firestorm

Edited by Siberian GRemlin, 21 December 2006 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users