The COMPLETE and handy C&C already asked question thread!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 popcorn2008

popcorn2008

Petroglyph's Popcorn Maker

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Gamertag:popcorn2008

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

Last Updated 08/07/2007

Welcome to the incredible, complete, and miraculous Command and Conquer - Petroglyph already asked questions thread! Inside you will find answers to some of the most asked C&C questions that have been answered by Petroglyph developers.

This list will be updated as required to try and stay up to date with any new questions asked and information given.

If you see any relevant C&C related information you think belongs here please Private  Message me (popcorn2008) via the forums.

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is still under construction! So far we have 40 questions, but a lot more are left to be indexed! + Formatting to the list to make it easier to read and browse.

Consider this rough draft #2 :)

-popcorn2008

The following list of questions is a simplified version of the actual questions asked. To see the real question asked, scroll to the appropriate number. This is to make organization easier

Questions:

Command and Conquer 3 Related Questions

1. I plan to make a mod for C&C 3, could Petroglyph release what they worked on so I can make my mod what C&C 3 was originally planned to be?

2. Has any of the staff of Petroglyph played C&C 3? What did you think about it?

3. In the Westwood C&C3, would Nod get more Tiberium/Alien technology based weapons?

4. In the Westwood C&C3 did you plan to give GDI less mech technology?

5. Would Petroglyph ever release their C&C3 story as a fan fiction?

6. Why doesn€™t Petroglyph make a new Tiberium game, but call Tiberium something else?

7. In EA€™s C&C3 it is a liquid Tiberium explosion that summons the Scrin to Earth, "Ichor LQ Detonation". Was this planned from the start?

8. In the Nod victory movie for Tiberiam Sun is that missle causing a liquid Tiberium explosion to summon the Scrin? And why does it cover the entire Earth when in TW he obviously just wanted to summon the scrin to use the "tower".

9. What teams were originally intended for Westwood€™s C&C 3?

Command and Conquer Story Related Questions

10. Would it be possible for Petroglyph to release the rest of the C&C story? Maybe as a fan fiction?

11. What endings do the C&C games usually follow (in cannon)?

12. In an interview at CNCNZ you guys said even Yuri fit into the old story line, right?

13. What exactly is Nod?

14. What was the original plan for C&C Generals? Was it planned, or was it a random game chosen by EALA?

15. What are some the things that were planned to be in C&C Generals, but got canned?

16. What was the original plan regarding Tiberium and Tiberium based life forms?

17. Check out this picture (see question below), what is up with this harvester?

18. How come the game always followed the GDI endings?

19. Why is Red Alert 2 and the Red Alert universe less serious than the C&C universe?

20. At the end of Red Alert 2: Yuri€™s Revenge for the Soviets ending did Yuri get eaten?

21. Did CABAL€™s headquarters lie under Sarajevo the whole time?

22. See this picture (scroll to question), what is that thing on the top of the tank?

Tiberian Sun Related Questions

23. Is the crash site of the Scrin ship in Tiberian Sun near Roswell?

24. Why is the single player campaign structured differently in Tiberian Sun: Fire Storm?

25. Didn't McNeil have a brother?

26. Why didn€™t the Mammoth Tank get included in Tiberian Sun?

27. What are some the things that were planned to be in Tiberian Sun, but got canned?

28. What did you plan to happen with the forgotten?

29. What€™s your take on the Nod buggy?

30. On an old Tiberian Sun Fan site there are some music tracks that appear but are not in the final cut of Tiberian Sun, what is up with that?

31. Did Kane use a Chronosphere at the end of Tiberian Sun in the Nod ending?

32. Where exactly did the Tacitus come from?

33. Is it true Westwood was planning 3-4 expansion packs for Tiberian Sun?

General Petroglyph-Westwood Related Questions

34. How many people at Petroglyph are former Westwood employees?

35. Is it true that all the staff at Petroglyph are former Westwood employees?

36. What does TSC and ACC mean? They are on a few of the original C&C maps.

37. Is it a possibility that we will see Joe Kucan in future Petroglyph games?

38. How come it took until 2002 for a C&C game to get 3D based graphics?

39. Why did EA make you sensor C&C for the German market?

40. What is different about the one of a kind €œtournament€ edition of C&C?

Command and Conquer 3 Related Questions

Question 1
Question: G'day,
I plan to make a mod for EA's C&C3 to try and make it into what WW had planned for C&C3.
I was wondering if any ex-westwood employee's could shed some light on the matter.
Asked By: Rico
Answered By: Ishmael-PG
Answer:
Legally, we can't give you anything... even if we did still have any of that stuff, which we don't. That's all EA's property. Anything we generated while working for EA is theirs.

Suffice it to say that not a lot of the units are the same from what we originally planned (and that I can remember from memory at this point).

We had a stealth tank, mammoth tank and a rocket bike... that's about the extent of the similarities, although even they were different in our version.

Source

Question 2
Question: I don't know if this question has been actually answered before, but I was wondering if any of you guys in Petroglyph, has actually played C&C3 and liked it? Does anyone in the staff really dislike it?
Asked By: Chrispy
Answered By: Phlakaton-PG, Ishmael-PG
Answer:
PHLAKATON-PG
I played through most of it. The repeater missions for each side were lame... I mean they stuck to the same general flow for each campaign. You had a defend mission and a commando one... wash rinse repeat.

The polish on the game was very nice. Clean and awesome effects work from my bud Mikey Jones.

Decent game but nothing special unfortunately. Effects kept me coming back for a while.

ISHMAEL-PG
Goodness, people arguing my opinions...  

I have mixed feelings about the game. I played GDI up to the final mission, Nod up to the 2nd to last mission, and the Scrin campaign not at all. I played a few online games and many skirmish games with every faction to get a sense of their differences.

The mission design wasn't as good as it could have been. Missions were generally slogs through the maps with not a lot of creative ways to sneak around and accomplish objectives creatively with varying unit types. The missions were too similar to each other in objectives, and IMO the campaigns were about 3-4 missions too long on each side for GDI and Nod because the missions were too similar. The campaign had worn out its welcome before I finished it, which is why I gave up at the last GDI mission and 2nd to last Nod one.

I loved seeing the videos again in the series and it was great to see Kane back. After a while into the campaigns however, I ended up skipping the movies completely because they were very talk-heavy and took a really long time to get to the point (i.e. why I'm going to do what I do next). I'd read the summaries while loading and know just what I needed to do. Some of the vids (i.e. the interview program when the aliens land in the GDI campaign) were just very odd to me... it didn't seem like anyone was a freaked out as they should have been about alien invaders.  

Although I don't agree with each and every choice they made in the fiction, I completely understand why they made those decisions and can see what they're trying to accomplish. It's called C&C3, but it's really a reboot on the franchise, which is fine.

The game, while playing more like the Red Alert series in terms of pace, really had the feel of a Command & Conquer title with its presentation, UI, and look, which I loved. The effects and terrain were great looking and really captured the feel of the universe and the tech they had in it.

Balance wise, I think there's some issues for income and tech that that favor rushing more than anything else and I'm curious to see how they're addressed in the next "big" patch. I'm looking forward to what they add in the expansion and where they take the universe.

The game has a lot of play value, great presentation, and while I don't agree with everything they did, they made a solid game. If I was a reviewer, I'd give it an 8/10 for overall value for your money and production quality that they delivered in the product.

That's my overall take on the game.

Source

Question 3
Question: In WW C&C3 would Nod get more Tiberium/Alien technology based weapons?
Asked By: CuppaLastHumanSoldier
Answer:
There's lots of posts on C&C3 stuff already -- search the forum and you'll learn about some of the WW C&C3 stuff.

Source

Question 4
Question: In C&C3 the GDI has only one mech. So I would like to ask you if there were any plans to include
more GDI mechs for the original C&C3 from you.
Asked By: CamelRider
Answer:
GDI was going away from mechs, yes. There were still a few, but Nod had gotten so good at taking out the leg joints on them with infantry that the repair and construction costs became prohibitive and the design was ruled "impractical".

Source

Question 5
Question: Would Petro release their vision for C&C as Fan fiction?
Asked By: tesla3090
Answer:
I thought of about a dozen ways to respond to this, but really the simple answer is --

No.

At least for my part, it's a lot of time and since there's documented stuff that EA owns on what we were going to do with C&C3, that's their property. Although my version is all from memory at this point, I'm not even sure it's legal for me to put that out since I have a very good memory and would likely be quoting material that is EA property.

Sorry y'all.

Source

Question 6
Question: WHy doesnt Petro make a new tiberian type game, But not tiberian
Asked By: deltasniper
Answer:
We really don't want to create the same game over and over.

C&C was great fun for us all, but it's in other hands now, and we've got our own things to do.

Unless we were working on another C&C game with EA, we're not going to do games that close to someone else's IP.

Source

Question 7
Question: So in TW it is a liquid tiberium explosion that summons the scrin to Earth, "Ichor LQ Detonation". Was this planned from the start?
Asked By: popcorn2008
Answer:
It was not. It was the scrin rebels that fled with the tacitus that brings the Scrin forces to Earth.

Source

Question 8
Question: And IF SO, the Nod victory movie for Tiberium Sun is that missle causing a liquid Tiberium explosion to summon the scrin? And why does it cover the entire Earth when in TW he obviously just wanted to summon the scrin to use the "tower".

Now that being said, was the storyline changed from what you guys intended Kane's original goals to be?
Asked By: popcorn2008
Answer:
It's different than we had planned it, but remember it didn't go through as much scrutiny because we never got to filming stages with it. I don't know how it would have ended up with us, but it was different in the planning stages.

Source

Question 9
Question: What teams were originally intended for C&C 3?
Asked By: (Nobody) €“ Stated Information
Answer:
We went through multiple iterations of C&C3.

In the original version of C&C3, the factions were GDI, Nod, CABAL, and Scrin for the expansion.

In version 2, it was GDI, Nod, Scrin with the Forgotten as the expansion side.

Source

Command and Conquer Story Related Questions

Question 10
Question: I'm asking weather it'd be possible to release the rest of the story if it exists already (if EA isn't using it ofcourse) or if it doesn't, could the person who originally wrote the C&C story make up the rest and realease it as a story written by a fan? (There shouldn't be any legal issues then...)
Asked By: Bittah Commander
Answered By: Torpid-PG , Ishmael-PG
Answer:
TORPID-PG
I'm really not sure about the legality of talking about stuff like this, so I really can't say much. I know that there was going to be a C&C3 before Westwood closed, but it's one of those projects that started and stopped a few times. I know some mock-up screen shots got released a while back so it's likely that SOME story was outlined. Having been a large part of the story for Firestorm, I know the direction the story was intended to go, but where EA takes it is anyone's guess.

I'm in the same boat as you guys - we all will just have to wait and see. The Tiberium universe was a large part of my early career, so I am looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

ISHMAEL-PG
I could tell you all about where C&C was heading, how all the characters developed, and what eventually it led to.

...but I won't. Not that I wouldn't like to, but it is EA's franchise and out of respect to them, they're the storytellers you need to listen to now.

You have to look at C&C like folklore in a way -- stuff gets changed as it is passed down from generation to generation. The 'ol westwood guys had the story and we certainly had a direction for it, but there's new storytellers now and they're going to change it and evolve it.

Knowing nothing about where they're taking it now, who's to say which would be better? I just hope they tell a good story amidst some solid RTS game play. :)

Source

Question 11
Question: What ending do the C&C games usually follow?
See Also: Question 24
Answer:
Allied / GDI endings were always followed as the Canon for the C&C games previously. The only exception here was Firestorm, which both endings are relevant and actually happen, since we had designed them to co-exist going into the future.

And yes, we were going to explain how RA2 happened in C&C3...

Source

Question 12
Question: You said in an interview @ CNCNZ that even Yuri's Revenge fits right?
Asked By: Mighty BOB!
Answer:
Yep. It all fit. You have to think differently about the C&C universe and how it relates to RA...

Now who's to say that C&C3 won't explain it? We had a complete mission layout for all factions done a long, long time ago. The Philadelphia being blown up in the beginning, as EALA has said happens, is exactly how the old story started too, so who's to say they won't follow the others?

Source

Question 13
Question: What exactly is Nod?
Answer:
Nod is an ideology. They believe that GDI is living in the past and not embracing the change that Tiberum has brought to the planet. They believe that GDI's destruction of tiberium is wrong. It was always intended to be a war of ideology. It just so happens that to get attention, Nod will resort to tactics (like bombings) that GDI would not.

Source

Question 14
Question: I know some of you guys worked on Generals...So i was wondering What was C&C Generals original plan? Was it planned at all or just a random game by EALA with a C&C smacked to it? Or just to "hide" the Original C&C 3?
Asked By: Chris/Yayo01
Answer:
We have a designer here that worked on the original Generals. Many of us worked on ZH, but aside from me reading the Generals design doc and our one designer here, you'd really have to hit up the blizzard forums and get Dustin to talk about it... which I doubt he would on the Blizz forums.

Source

Question 15
Question: btw....Oh well, I was just curious about the stuff you Generals dev team did and ended up being canned...
Asked By: Chris/Yayo01
Answer:
The two major things I remember from the doc that didn't end up in the game were:
€ Morale system (happy, neut, sad) that would affect the performance of your troops. There were weapons that would attack morale more than do direct damage (leaflet drops, etc.)
€ Prisoner / Capture system, which you could use to take enemies hostage, each faction getting different benefits (USA map reveal, China troop morale, GLA ransom)

The Detention Center for the USA was used in ZH, but the other two buildings and the detention bus / prison collection unit wasn't built for the other factions.

Source

Question 16
Question: What did you plan to happen with tiberium and tiberium life forms?
Asked By: Crash-King
Answered By: Ishmael-PG, Frank Klepacki-PG
Answer:
ISHMAEL-PG
Tiberium had taken over parts of the planet that GDI did not build and run their atmosphere processors near (data from the Tacitus allowed the creation of these processors, which reversed Tiberium's growth). Some areas were more affected by Tiberium than others (Tiberium grew better in moist / warmer climates), and those heavily affected had undergone complete metamorphosis of terrain, flora, and fauna. Species of all forms of life either died off, adapted, or mutated into things that could survive in those areas. Even GDI and Nod would not enter some of the (to use the C&C3 vocab) "red" zones, where Tiberium had completely taken over, as constant ion storms and all kinds of new animal and plant life was very hostile to intruders. Those areas were written off as lost causes.

FRANK KLEPACKI-PG
Speaking of original intentions for TS, I talk a bit about this regarding the soundtrack, in my latest web commentary at my site for those interested.

Go to www.frankklepacki.com - click "Press," and then "Commentary: Behind the C&C Tiberian Sun soundtrack."

Source

Question 17
Question: whats up with this harvester? it has no scoopers...and a company logo on it?
See Also: http://www.cnc-sourc...p...si&img=2188
Asked By: EatMyCar
Answer:
The "Big Willie's school for Harvester Drivin'" was a joke that one of our artists put together about a trucking-like training school for harvester drivers. It was highly amusing, with a Q&A and all kinds of stuff on the flyer that was pretty hilarious. The entire reason for why harvesters were so idiotic with their driving logic was explained by how they were trained to drive.

And yes, originally, infantry would have tossed their weapons down and fought each other hand-to-hand!

Source

Question 18 SEE ALSO MISSING
Question: How come the game always followed the GDI endings?
See Also:
Answer:
Simply because the planet was so messed up after the Nod endings that we didn't have enough room to continue the series forward without some head-scratching continuity problems. Going with Nod's endings would also have put GDI as the weak, scrappy side, which messes with the faction's philosophy a bit too much between games.

Source

Question 19
Question: Red Alert 2 is the best C&C in lots of ways, but some things with it are questionable. The mood of the game is less serious and more cheesy than those of the other C&C's. I am wondering, why did you decide to take it to that direction?
Asked By: Thunder
Answer:
RA was always the "...and the kitchen sink too!" series. It was a place where anything goes, and giving it that 50s goofball sci-fi cheese was just a fun way to do it. To be honest, it was the way the series was headed anyway, but we just didn't get far enough with it in RA1 so you really didn't see it all yet.

IMO, RA2 + Yuri's was likely the best playing C&C game. So many fun combinations and counters!

Judging by the success that C&C3 is having in sales, I don't think you've seen the last of the RA series either.

Source

Question 20
Question: At the end of Red Alert 2, Yuri€™s Revenge for the Soviets did Yuri get eaten?
Answer:
Ever see the movie "Time Bandits"?

Now what did Yuri have at his disposal the end of YR there... hmm...

'nuff said.

...so no, the dino didn't eat him in my take on things. Yuri just mind-controlled it. =)

Source

Question 21
Question: If CABAL indeed was what becomes when all those minds of the people in the tubes were put together, and CABAL was created in Temple Of Nod, Sarajevo...wouldn't that mean CABAL's headquarters lied under Nod's sacred ground all that time?
Asked By: Pyrotech
Answer:
CABAL had his own stronghold in the south-american Tiberium jungles... or at least that's where it would have been in Continuum.

Source

Question 22
Question: Both of them have the same design and all so i was wondering what is the thing on its turret?
Asked By: soviet deso
Answer:
It's a viewport.

Source

Tiberian Sun Related Questions

Question 23
Question: I aint gonna ask whatever the purpose of it was, I am just courious about its crash site, the location is in Texas, so I was wonderin, is it by any chance near roswell?
Asked By: PigletCNC
Answer:
It was not a coincidence, but there's nothing more behind it than a wink to those that know what else happened in that area... :)

Source

Question 24
Question: Why is the story told different in Tiberian Sun: Firestorm?
Answered: As people have said, Firestorm was unique in that we wanted to have one story that worked no matter if you played GDI or Nod. We were getting tired of always having to go with the GDI ending on things (since Nod's endings were so... final) when we went forward. I thought we could make one game story that both sides saw differently and reacted to differently. It worked out decently, IMO. I liked the cause and effect of the missions (seed Floaters on Nod, clean them up on GDI, etc.)

Source

Question 25
Question: Didn't McNeil have a brother?
Asked By: Hiromoon
Answer:
He did... Kane killed him once his usefulness was at an end.

Source

Question 26
Question: This is something that I've always wondered... Why didn't the Mammoth Tank get included in TS? Wasn't it an iconic unit?
Asked By: RaiDK
Answer:
This new mammoth was for C&C3, not Continuum. The Juggernaut had been replaced with the MDP (Mobile Defense Platform), which was smaller and more agile and packing almost the same level of firepower.

Source

Question 27
Question: So could any EX-Westwood staff member shine some light on the features, buildings, units and possibly even some parts of the story that were scrapped from TS because there wasn't enough time to implement it?
Asked By: Bittah Commander
Answer:
Wow. I have to rack my brain to remember all that stuff. Some things I can remember off the top of my head...

Yes, there was a loadout screen where you could choose units to take into battle. This was also planned for C&C3, which we had working in the WW prototype, but that wasn't the direction taken by EA. The drop pods, added in Firestorm, were supposed to be in TS (and customizable before a match) for GDI.

Lighting was supposed to make a huge difference for day/night play, and units in the light were susceptible to turrets at further range than normal, plus the spotted unit(s) were going to get shot range reductions for being in the light.

Hunter / Seeker was originally supposed to show you a small menu of types of things to hunt down rather than being "random" as it turned out.

Terrain differences were there, but we didn't have time to get them all balanced, so we opted not to make them all different and risk messing up the balance, since designers didn't build maps with terrain modifying unit speeds in mind.

Airstrike line sounds like one left over from C&C that was still in the files.

Icons -- no idea why they were changed.

There's a few answers for you.

Source

Question 28
Question: What did you plan to happen with the forgotten ?
Asked By: Crash-King
Answer:
The Scrin didn't account for what effect Tiberium would have on some humans (i.e. the forgotten). They thought it would kill all humans off, but unfortunately, some that were exposed survived and actually began to be able to harness Tiberium's energies themselves. They turned out to be humankind's most powerful weapon against the Scrin, since they could control Tiberium in a way the Scrin could not, making them a huge threat. The forgotten were going to become a full faction in the expansion for the game.

The Forgotten had evolved to draw energies out of Tiberium directly in order to power their "unique" abilities. You can think of them like psionics and such if that helps (or even X-men lite), but they were going to have a lot of control over the battlefield and all the flora / fauna on it, as well as being able to negate a lot of Scrin powers via their abilities.

For tech, they used stolen GDI and Nod gear that they modified to their own ends. While not as strong as GDI or as fast as Nod, they were intended to be a very finesse-driven side, since your power pool for every ability on every unit and every production facility was shared (i.e. piece a unit together for 500 energy, or call an ion storm for 2500 energy, use ability X on unit Y for 1000 energy, etc.)

Anyway, that's about as far as we'd thought them out, since they were going to be coming in the expansion, not the main game.

Source

Question 29 MISSING SOURCE
Question: What€™s your take on the Nod buggy?
Answer:
You don't know how badly I wanted to cut the buggy from TS. I hated that unit. It was pointless for Nod, but by the time I could have cut it, it was late in the project and was being used in several places, so I just didn't have time to cut it and sort out the balance repercussions.

Nod has rocket bikes. Buggies? No thanks!

Source:

Question 30
Question:
To keep it small, a few weeks ago i came across a old TS Fan site, that was around when TS was under development, and on this site was a Audio area that has some clips of so called Tiberian Sun tracks, at first sight i see Stomp, and Iron Fist (was this meant to a TS track?), then at second gralnce i see some more, called Woods and Tower. Now, i have never heard of these tracks anywhere on Franks website nor from old WW media and the FTP. could you put some light on this please?
Asked By: TSHyper
Answered By: Frank Klepacki-PG
Answer:
The tracks you refer to were actually prematurely posted on Westwood's old site for download prior to TS release. Stomp was cut from the game and later used in Renegade. Iron Fist was originally in Covert Ops.

Woods and Tower were both from the game Lands of Lore 2.

Source

Question 31
Question: Did Kane use a Chronosphere  at the end of Tiberian Sun in the Nod ending?
Answer:
Cypher's correct. What happens to Kane at the end of the Nod TS ending isn't the chronosphere.

In many ways, C&C3 used that angle of the story (i.e. Kane's attempts to bring the Scrin) in the Nod campaign, they just played it out in a different way with a similar result...

Source

Question 32
Question: Where exactly did the Tacitus come from?
Answer:
We went back and forth on just where the Tacitus came from, but the translation of it is really the key -- what some may interpret as a warning from it could really be written prophecy or even an instruction manual to other eyes, depending on who is reading it and what they want to get from it.

I'm curious to see where EA goes with the Tacitus now. There's several directions they could take it in from where we had it post TS/FS. Given the C&C3 story, they didn't really expand on its origin one way or another, since again, its message is open to interpretation.

I've not really answered because the story went through multiple iterations and versions as we changed the playable factions and the key game systems. I'm trying to get it straight in my head again before further complicating things by saying something that wasn't the way we planned it.

We had also developed two completely different origins for the Tacitus, and since both stories leveraged that origin, I'm trying to remember what each included. One was centered around the Tacitus being a soul-prison for the leader of the martian force that fought against the Scrin (they knew how to beat the Scrin, but discovered it too late) while the Earth was still primordial, and the other was centered around the Scrin rebels stealing the "bible" of the Scrin -- which may or may not have been written by them in the first place -- and the Scrin Primal's crusade to recover it.

Both were interesting and had some cool reveals.

So no promises on a ton of detail. Much of it is pretty jumbled in my head at this point.

Source

Question 33
Question: I just heard that Westwood was planning 3-4 expansion packs for TS but the plug got pulled by EA. Truth? Yes/no?
Asked By: Mighty BOB!
Answer:
No.

Source

General Petroglyph-Westwood Related Questions

Question 34
Question: How many people at Petro are former Westwood?
Also See: Question 7
Asked By: Hissingnewt13
Answer:
When I left EALA about a year and a half ago, there were 5-6 Westwood Vegas employees still there, and about 7-8 Westwood Pacific guys there.

The majority of the old Vegas Westwood staff is either here, or somewhere not at EALA.

Source

Question 35
Question: Is it true that the staff in petroglyph are all ex westwood?
Asked By: lalelulilo
Answered By: Leggos-PG
Answer:
Hey gang,

Last I checked, we were 53% ex-Westwood, probably closer to 50% with a few new peeps starting in the next couple of weeks. The ratio makes for a great balance of 1) people who have worked together for many years with 2) new faces (from industry veterans to some just starting in the industry). zthe group synergy is amazing to me.

-Mike

Source

Question 36
Question: I've been wondering what TSC&ACC meant. It pops up in the Soviet Mission Red Revolution, when you find a bunch of trees that spell out ACC. There's also another message in the last Allied mission. What were those things about?
Asked By: RiceFarmerXD
Answer:
I'm not 100% sure on those particular maps, but some of the designers used to put waypoints with their initials in certain corners or spell things out in discreet places so that if a map had to be edited, they knew easily who did which map.

This sounds like more than that however.

Source

Question 37
Question: is there a possibility to see him (Joe Kucan) again in future games and probably let us get in nostalgia again?
Asked By: Caine
Answered By: Sageking-PG
Answer:
No plans at the moment unfortunately.

Source

Question 38
Question: How come not until 2002 a C&C game got 3D graphics?
Answer:
Because 3D doesn't make RTS games any better. Most of the stuff you can do in 3D is easier to do in 2D. There's other posts on this as well.

Source

Question 39
Question: Why did EA make you sensor C&C for the German market?
Answer:
Uh, that wasn't EA that made the infantry into robots and blood into black oil. We did that ourselves at Westwood because the German government would not have let us publish the game in Germany in the form we created it. We also had to change the entire intro with Einstein and Hitler simply because we weren't allowed to show any likeness of Hitler.

The German censor board are the ones that mandate things like that. As a publisher / developer, we either abide by those changes or the game isn't sold in the country. We don't like having to make changes like that, but sometimes we have to. Look at Generals / ZH for some really crazy changes for the German version... dynamite on wheels anyone?

BTW, that was long before EA purchased us. We were still part of Virgin at that time.

Renegade went through several complete changes in graphics style and lead management during its (way too) long development cycle. EA wasn't really hands-on with renegade until it was closer to being completed, as it had been in the works for a long time.

Source

Question 40
Question: What is different about the one of a kind €œtournament€ edition of C&C?
Asked By: Gray__Fox
Answered By: Delphi-PG
Answer:
Joe Bostic coded some special timers and score tracking features. This way we could set a time limit and use scoring as a way to judge the winner. It was very cool.

Source

> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> LucasForums Moderator

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users