MOD SUPPORT INSTRUCTIONS FOR EMPIRE AT WAR & EMPIRE AT WAR: FORCES OF CORRUPTION
LAST UPDATED 01/20/2021
DISCLAIMER: MOD COMPATIBILITY IS CONSIDERED PERPETUALLY BETA AND OFFICIAL UNSUPPORTED. However, you are encouraged to ask for advice and help on the Steam forums and MODDB.COM from other users.
Star Wars: Empire at War has always included built-in support for user-generated mods, but using that functionality has required some technical expertise and sometimes a lot of digging for help on the internet. With the summer 2017 Steam update to EAW & FOC, we have made it much easier to find, download, and activate mods that other users have created. Please keep in mind that we cannot provide technical support for player-created mods.
The most recent patch for the Steam version of the game was released January 2021. You can find a debug version of the executable for identifying issues with your mod HERE.
TO DOWNLOAD & PLAY A USER MOD
- Visit the Steam Workshop for the Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Pack. You can find it here.
- Browse the various mods that are available for both EAW and FOC. Some mods work on both, others are game-specific.
- Subscribe to any mods you wish to download.
- Load the game and from the main menu selection click OPTIONS and then the MODS button.
- The mods you have subscribed to will appear in the list of available options. Select one and then hit SELECT.
- The game will download the mod to your system and then restart with the mod enabled.
TO UPLOAD YOUR OWN MOD
- An unsupported freeware tool is used to upload mod files to the Steam Workshop. You can download this tool here.
- Extract and then run the Uploader.exe tool, and fill out the Item Name above the “Create Item” button. Press the “Create Item” Button.
- If successful, quit the uploader so it can create or overwrite a configuration file upon exit.
- Find the newly created item folder (in the WorkshopContent folder) and fill it with your mod content.
- Edit the Item.workshop.json file and fill in the appropriate settings. See SampleWS.workshop.json for an example. (NOTE: Make sure you tag your item appropriately. (ie: FOC for mods that only work on FOC) so they show up in the correct game.
- Launch Uploader.exe again
- Pick your item. Verify that the preview image is working and content folder is correct.
- Update the Visibility and Change note as desired.
- Press the Submit button.
- Verify that Status says "SUCCESS! Item submitted! :D :D :D"
- If this is your first submit to this workshop you'll need to login to the workshop on a web browser and agree to the "Terms and Conditions" of the steam workshop license agreement. Once agreed you can try to press the Submit button again if necessary.
PATCH FOR TERRAIN EDITOR
The latest patch for Steam users made the terrain editor incompatible. Download these files and drop them into the folder containg your map editor to fix this issue. We suggest you use this as a patch to the editor that was already released as it contains additional (helpful) content you'll want to get if you're just starting to make your own content. (Ultimately, that installer should probably be updated with these files, but a version should be kept available for non-Steam creators as well.) :)
SOURCE FILES FOR SHADERS USED IN FOC
Some of you have asked for the original shaders used in the game to help in your mod creation. Well.....here they are!
EAW shaders should be a subset of what is found here, so basically you're getting this reference material for both games.